Can trauma you experienced as a kid still affect you now? What about the traumatic experiences of our parents and grandparents? Is there a way to undo what California Surgeon General Dr. Nadine Burke Harris calls the “toxic stress response”?
In this conversation, Kate and Nadine discuss:
- Why “picking yourself up by your bootstraps” is an incomplete (and unhelpful) story
- A better way to define resilience
- How your zip code might determine your health
- How fostering nurturing relationships help heal our bodies
- What baby rats can teach us about learning to change
Kate ends with a Blessing for if You had a Painful Childhood. And whew, will this episode crack you open and heal the tender parts of you you didn’t know needed it.