Childhood trauma impacts millions of Americans, and its consequences can be devastating. Those experiencing high levels of trauma can see dramatically lower life expectancies, and the CDC estimates it accounts for billions of dollars in healthcare costs and lost productivity. Special correspondent Cat Wise reports as part of our series, “Invisible Scars: America’s Childhood Trauma Crisis.”
On December 14, 2020, the ACEs Aware initiative released a draft Trauma-Informed Network of Care Roadmap for public comment. The roadmap aims to provide practical steps that health care providers and health and human services organizations can take within their own communities to grow cross-sector networks of care that support children, adults, and families in effectively mitigating the impact of ACEs and toxic stress on health.
ABC7 News sat down with California Surgeon General Nadine Burke Harris to discuss the impact’s of the pandemic on families, and how we can better care for ourselves and stay safe in the coming winter.
Hear Dr. Nadine Burke Harris Hear talk about the first-ever California Surgeon General’s Report, Roadmap for Resilience
California Surgeon General, Dr. Nadine Burke Harris, shared key findings from the first-ever California Surgeon General’s Report on how to advance systemic reforms that recognize and respond to the effects of ACEs and toxic stress.
First California Surgeon General’s Report Provides Clear Cross-Sector Roadmap to Address Health and Societal Impacts of Adversity
Roadmap for Resilience: The California Surgeon General’s Report on Adverse Childhood Experiences, Toxic Stress, and Health serves as a blueprint for how communities, states, and nations can recognize and effectively address Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and toxic stress as a root cause to some of the most harmful, persistent, and expensive societal and health challenges facing our world today.
A virtual town hall event hosted by California Surgeon General, Dr. Nadine Burke Harris, California Legislative Black Caucus and Assemblywoman Dr. Shirley Weber highlighted local and statewide efforts to address COVID-19 in the African American community....
California Surgeon General, Dr. Nadine Burke Harris joined Bakersfield FOX58 Eyewitness News to discuss safety tips and what the public should keep in mind before Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season.
Dr. Nadine Burke Harris is the first person appointed as California’s Surgeon General. She spoke to KTVU FOX2 on Saturday about the steps Californians are strongly encouraged to take ahead of Thanksgiving and the rest of the holiday season.
“Becoming ACEs Aware in California” trains health care providers to screen patients for Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and to recognize and respond to the symptoms of toxic stress. The Provider Training September Data Update shows that of those trained, 8,300 are…
La doctora Nadine Burke Harris afirma que es clave que las personas tengan bajo control padecimientos como la diabetes, la presión alta y enfermedades del corazón porque estas condiciones pueden ocasionar más complicaciones en caso de que resulten contagiadas con covid-19.
Dr. Nadine Burke Harris joins She Shares for a virtual conversation about childhood adversity, health disparities, and the health impacts of COVID-19.
California Surgeon General Nadine Burke Harris shares a message about the importance of talking, reading, singing, and counting with young children to build healthy brains and boost resilience.
La Dra. Nadine Burke Harris, Directora General de Salud de California, explica cómo los Californianos pueden mantenerse sanos y proteger a nuestra comunidad del COVID-19 si se quedan en su hogar, se lavan las manos frecuentemente, desinfectan superficies, y se cubren...
Childhood trauma isn’t something you just get over as you grow up. Pediatrician Nadine Burke Harris explains that the repeated stress of abuse, neglect and parents struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues has real, tangible effects on the development of…
- ACEs Aware Trauma-Informed Network of Care Roadmap for Public Comment | By ACEs Aware | Dec. 14, 2020
- First California Surgeon General’s Report Provides Clear Cross-Sector Roadmap to Address Health and Societal Impacts of Adversity | By Office of the California Surgeon General | Dec. 9, 2020
- Apply Now: New ACEs Aware Grant Opportunity to Support Trauma-Informed Networks of Care | By ACEs Aware | Dec. 1, 2020
- ACEs Aware Announces Nearly 14,000 Providers Trained | By ACEs Aware | Oct. 15, 2020
- Provider Data Report: “Becoming ACEs Aware in California” Provider Training: September Data Update (PDF) | By ACEs Aware | Oct. 15, 2020
- Children will pay long-term stress-related costs of Covid-19 unless we follow the science | By STAT | Aug. 4, 2020
- George Floyd’s Death is Killing Me | By Medium | Jun. 11, 2020
- COST OF ACEs: New Research Shows Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences and Toxic Stress Costs $112.5 Billion Per Year to California (PDF) | By ACEs Aware | Jan. 28, 2020
- Blacks in California are dying from COVID-19 at a higher rate. What’s being done to help? | The Modesto Bee | Nov. 30, 2020
- ACEs Training and the COVID-19 Pandemic: Reflections from Dr. Eric Ball | By ACEs Aware | Nov. 8, 2020
- How Adverse Childhood Experiences Shape Health Care: In Conversation with Dr. Nadine Burke Harris | By Healthforce Center at UCSF | Oct. 23, 2020
- Reaching for Resilience | By North Coast Journal | Oct. 1, 2020
- Turn & Talk / Responding to Student Trauma | By EL Magazine | Oct. 2020
- How to Keep Children’s Stress From Turning Into Trauma | By The New York Times | May 7, 2020
- COVID Convos — Meet California’s Surgeon General, Dr. Nadine Burke Harris | By Sac Cultural Hub | Apr. 22, 2020
- Yes, Stress Really Is Making You Sick | By Newsweek | Mar. 2, 2020
- Nadine Burke Harris – Screening For PTSD in California | By BMJ talk medicine | Nov. 19, 2020
- Toxic Stress | By Podship Earth | Jul. 26, 2020
- California’s Surgeon General on the science of toxic stress | By KCRW | May 2, 2020
- How To Support Our Kids During COVID-19 (with Dr. Nadine Burke Harris) | By Good Kids | Mar. 31, 2020
- Armchair Expert – Dr. Nadine Burke Harris | By Armchair Expert | Oct. 10. 2019
- Hear Dr. Nadine Burke Harris Hear talk about first-ever California Surgeon General’s Report, Roadmap for Resilience | By ACEs Aware | Dec. 10, 2020
- Childhood trauma impacts millions of Americans, and it’s having devastating consequences | By PBS NewsHour | Dec. 14, 2020
- ABC7 talks to California surgeon general Nadine Burke-Harris about COVID-19’s impact on children | By ABC7 News | Dec. 11, 2020
- California Surgeon General Doctor Nadine Burke Harris talks holiday safety | By 23ABC News | Nov. 24, 2020
- California Surgeon General shares safety tips and urges caution ahead of the holidays | By KBAK-TV | Nov. 24, 2020
- ‘Californians have done this before:’ California Surgeon General urges caution ahead of holidays | By KTVU FOX 2 | Nov. 21, 2020
- Tips about the flu | By California Department of Public Health | Oct. 28, 2020
- 3 Trauma-Informed Practices Backed by Science | By Edutopia | Oct. 16, 2020
- Informagente Extra! | By InformaGente | Oct. 15, 2020
- La importancia de que la comunidad latina vaya al médico en medio de la pandemia del coronavirus | By Univision 34 Los Angeles | Sep. 27, 2020
- How Heavy Times Take a Toll on Children | By NBC Bay Area | Sep. 16, 2020
- Prepping for a Very Different School Year: Strategies for Parents | By PBS Kids for Parents | Aug. 18, 2020
- Adam Rodriguez & California Surgeon General Dr. Nadine Burke Harris | By InformaGente | Jul. 9, 2020
- She Shares with Dr. Nadine Burke Harris | By She Shares | Jun. 23, 2020
- Gwyneth Paltrow x Nadine Burke Harris: How Does Childhood Trauma Impact Health Outcomes? | By The Goop Podcast | Jun. 22, 2020
- Destination Health: Addressing Societal Trauma | By Commonwealth Club | May 28, 2020
- Angelina Jolie and Dr. Nadine Burke Harris: How to support victims of intimate partner violence | By TIME Magazine | May 20, 2020
- California Surgeon General Discusses COVID-19 Response | By Behavioral Health Action | May 6, 2020
- Noggin’s Navigating the New Normal: Parents Edition | By Nickelodeon Noggin | May 6, 2020
- The Discovery, Impact, and Healing of Trauma | Dr. Nadine Burke Harris, David Simas | By Wisdom 2.0 | Apr. 23, 2020
- Nadine Burke Harris: Helping Adults and Children With Trauma During The Pandemic | By Trauma Informed Parent | Apr. 20, 2020
- A Message from California Surgeon General Nadine Burke Harris for First 5 California | By First 5 California | Mar. 30, 2020
- Kerry Washington and Dr. Nadine Burke Harris Talk Coronavirus | By Global Citizen | Mar. 24, 2020
- Todos los Californianos Podemos Tener Acciones que Salvan Vidas | By California Department of Public Health | Mar. 18, 2020
- The devastating, underdiagnosed toll of toxic stress on children | By PBS News Hour | Feb. 23, 2018
- TED Talk – Talk How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | By TED | Sep. 15, 2014